Fairmount Community Congregational Church
Thirteen people met on August 8, 1908, in the home of John C. Walling (5612 42nd Ave Southwest) to discuss formation of a Congregational Church in the Fairmount neighborhood of West Seattle. Informally organized, the thirteen chartered members erected a large tent at California Ave and Juneau, which served as their church until the completion of a small chapel on July 18, 1909 at Juneau and 41st Street. For the next ten years, the church grew and prospered, and a larger building was completed on April 4, 1920 at 4203 Juneau Avenue.
The Great Depression, however, caused a significant loss of members and income for Fairmont CCC. Meanwhile, the Bethany Christian Church had recently moved into the neighborhood and was looking for a church building for their 76-member congregation. On January 16, 1938, the merger between the two churches was finalized and the “Federated Church” came into being, with the Rev. Kenneth Helm as its first pastor. In 1969, following a number of lean years, Fairmont CCC began merger conversations with WSCC, and the two churches merged in 1969.